Friday, February 7, 2014

That boring introduction blog that almost no one reads

Hey guys! So this is (obviously) my first blog, so I'm just going to introduce myself for a little bit.

Okay, here it goes. I'm a recent college graduate living in upstate New York outside of Rochester in a small town called Newark. I'm currently unemployed and am not in school, so I have a lot of free time (more than I know what to do with) on my hands. I've really been struggling with anxiety and related issues the past few years, but it has gotten really bad in the past few months with not having much to do in a small town. I started filming Vlogs to try and get some of my frustration and feelings out and talk about some of the issues that have been going on in my life, but I'm not a videographer AT ALL so I'm still trying to figure out the lighting and editing and all that jazz, which is why I decided to start this blog. I won't be talking solely about anxiety, but I will blog about it from time to time and share how it has effected my life as well as coping strategies that I've been able to use that help me. Hopefully, if you're reading this and have similar issues, what I share will help you.

I should probably give fair warning that I intend to be very honest in this blog, which includes sharing personal stories at times. I don't believe in sugar coating anything, but I won't make it too ridiculous. This blog is basically here for me to get my thoughts out and try to share them with whoever will listen. Feel free to comment on anything. I'd love to hear some feedback on what I'm saying and I'd like to think that I'm not just blogging into space. However, if that's what happens so be it (insert awkward laughter)!

Which reminds me, I frequently am on social media (namely Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube, with the occasional Twitter appearances). Today I came upon one of those Buzzfeed lists that was titled "23 Signs You're an Awkward Person". Let me just say that I found it HILARIOUS. I can honestly say that I identified with almost all of the items, which made it even funnier. I showed it to my mom and she laughed pretty hard as well. Yay for awkward/not "normal" people! I'll post a link to the site at the bottom of this post so you can read it (and hopefully laugh) too!

Anyway, I guess this is the point where I should start telling you something more about myself. Ok, here it goes, bare (bear?) with me. My name is Sarah, I'm 23 (should I be putting that on the internet?!), I live in upstate New York (in case you missed the first paragraph), and I graduated from college in May 2013. I studied social work at Edinboro University, which is a small PA state school south of Erie. I minored in psychology and almost got a minor in Spanish, but time kind of ran out and I was short one class. Opps! 0.0 Oh well. I've taken Spanish since 7th grade so I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it, although I seem to not know the answer when my dad asks me how to say something or what somebody is saying than actually knowing what I'm talking about. I hope that made sense.

I'm originally from southeast PA, about 35 miles west of Philly. I'm an only child, which I'm pretty sure had a lot to do with my shyness. It was great growing up because I didn't have to compete with anybody for attention but it would be kinda nice to have someone else to talk to besides my parents. (insert sad, small violin music here). I moved back in with my parents after graduation and honestly did not think I would be here for more than year, but it's looking like it'll be longer than that. I'll get to that a little later. I have always been a very active person, what with school and sports, so I like to keep busy. I have played basketball since I was 11, and played in college.

I should probably take this time to mention that I was born with Spina Bifida, which means that I have trouble using my legs. I can walk with crutches, but I prefer to use a wheelchair because, well, it's easier to get around, and walking long distances gets to be really painful and tiring. You might be a little shocked reading this information, but please, don't let it chase you away from this site. I've been asked many times whether I would walk given the chance, and I honestly would have to say no. I was born with my disability, so I don't really consider myself to be "missing out" on anything. If nothing else, my Spina Bifida has led me to places I never thought I would be. For instance (and this is not intended to be bragging, so don't take it as such) I was extremely fortunate to go to Australia at the age of 17 to be a part of the Women's USA Under 19 Wheelchair Basketball Team. That was one of the most incredible events of my life. I'm so grateful that I was so lucky to be able to go to one of my top 2 travel destinations at such a young age.

Now, wheelchair sports teams are not very common. Actually, there are only a handful of teams in each state, and sometimes there is only one per state. This meant that in order to compete with other athletes and teams, we/I had to travel to other states to do so. This was awesome. By the time I was 18, I had been to over half the states and 2 countries (Australia and Canada) literally because of basketball and track and field. I love to travel and I don't doubt this exposure can be attributed to that joy. I've also dabbled in many other sports like sled hockey, soccer, dance, and archery. I loved all of them at one point or another, but basketball has always been my first love, which is why I decided to play in college. Since graduating, I haven't been able to get on a team for several different reasons, but I intend to as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

Uummmmmm, what else is there to say? As I said earlier, I've always had trouble with anxiety and recently depression. This is not an easy thing for me to share, which is a huge part of the reason I decided to do this blog in the first place so I can get out of my comfort zone. I've been working on lessening both of these things in the past few months and I think getting my story and thoughts out where others might see them could be beneficial to not only me but hopefully whoever's reading this. Feel free to comment or share these blogs, assuming that they will be positive. I will be working on some Vlogs for Youtube so when I get those figured out I will link them somewhere.

That's about it for now. I look forward to writing more and getting to know some people on here! Thanks for reading. Buh bye!

23 Signs You're An Awkward Individual

No comments:

Post a Comment